What is a test automation framework?
A test automation framework is nothing more than a collection of different tools/libraries and their associated rules and guidelines. We use this to develop automated test cases. The rules can range from coding standards, how to handle test data, how and where test results are stored, and so on.
A framework is not only useful for setting up tests. It is also used to run tests and to check whether the effective output matches the requirements or the expected output.
A framework should always be application-independent and easy to use and maintain. It aims to ensure that time and effort to perform regression tests are significantly reduced.
We can say that a test automation framework is mainly responsible for the following:
- Defining expectations
- Executing tests
- Reporting results in a standardized manner
Pros and cons
A test automation framework has many advantages. However, this on condition that the framework is built correctly and well thought out. Some of these benefits may include:
- Using predefined guidelines increases speed and efficiency in creating automated tests
- If the framework is well thought-out, it will increase the reusability of the code and reduce maintenance costs
- A framework also ensures scalability towards the future
- It provides an easy way to automate tests in a proper way. This ensures higher test coverage
- Multiple datasets can be linked to the same test to run it multiple times in a data-driven manner
- When built independently from the application under test, the framework will be very easy to apply to different applications without any additional cost
Of course, in addition to the many advantages, there are also some drawbacks:
- The developed test scripts are only usable within the framework in which they were developed. They are not reusable in other frameworks
- Developing a test automation framework itself is a time-consuming and complex process
- The tester must have knowledge of the development environment in which the test automation framework is developed
- It takes more time to build an automated test than a manual test
The Brightest Framework
Over the years, we have built several Test Automation Frameworks for customers. There, we regularly saw the same needs recurring: vendor-independent, personalized, usable for non-technical profiles, etc. Our first time right principle forced us to think about developing our own Brightest Framework. This new product is now ready to go, ready to save you time, effort and money!
This framework saves you time thinking about a concept and implementing it. We have already done that for you. After implementing the framework, you can immediately start automating tests. A lot of time was also spent on making the framework as maintenance friendly as possible. This for the purpose of possible future expansions.
A framework by and for test automation engineers
By working with customers daily, our test automation engineers have a good idea of the users' needs. As a result, we have managed to maintain a good balance between user-friendliness and maintenance-friendliness and the functionalities offered. Techies or non-techies, anyone can use it. As we said before: first time right!